Router is no doubt an essential in our home especially with the growing number of gadgets we have (Tablets , Laptops , Smartphones , Gaming Consoles , Smart TV). It’s no longer a luxury and with the emergence of high speed Internet access and the demand from consumers to stream HD content – hence it has become an essential equipment in our home network.
This is where ASUS RT-AC66U comes into play. If you have a huge home network which consists of HTPC (Home Theatre PC) , Tablets , Computers , Smartphones , Gaming Console and everything-else). I’ll be taking a look a the ASUS RT-AC66U , to determine if it is worthy 802.11ac router that is capable of meeting.
As usual , this review would be split into several paths. This is the first part which basically covers of what is inside the box , ease of use and the features that comes along
What’s Inside The Box
Basically you’ll be getting the Router itself , Power Cable , RJ-45 cable (which was not found in my review unit) , Warranty Card and some VIP card (I don’t know what’s that , but I am guessing it’s for that Free Kaspersky Antivirus)
The router itself looks very sleek and the design is much of any other ASUS router out there in the market. The look and feel makes it look like classy , so even if you place in your living room – it would pretty much blend well in !
Specification of the Router
Basically it’s a 5 port Gigabit router which compromises of 4 port Gigabit LAN and 1 port Gigabit WAN. Also you have 2 USB port. , which you are able to connect external devices such as printer , 3G/4G Modem , Hard Disk. I’ll explain a bit more on this later
Not to mention that you have 3 External dual-band detachable antennna – which means it’s user replaceable
The router itself is powered by 600Mhz Broadcom BCM5300 CPU , with 256MB of DDR2 RAM. Yes , it’s a powerful computer inside.
Features of the Router
Here are some of the features that comes along with the ASUS Router , I am highligthing the essential ones which I think it’s worthy. There are others but I feel that every other router in the market out there covers that
- VPN Server – It’s possible to have your own VPN Server with AC66U – which means you are able to access your home network/home internet from a cafe or outside. This is great if you want to ‘encrypt’ your connection while working in a public hotspot
- Download Master – A lot of us are kaki download (download addict). The beauty of this router is that it allows you to torrent in the router itself. Imagine the electricity savings and not to mention the quietness as opposed to your lousy PC. I’ll be taking a look later on power consumption
- AiCloud – Simply allows you to access your files anywhere , anytime. Just think of it as your own private dropbox. You could even stream movies remotely , there is an app for iOS and Android which you can view documents stored remotely on your very own cloud !
- DLNA Support – Simply plug in your hard disk (with movies/pictures) to the router and if you have a SMART TV (or a Blu-Ray player that is Internet-capable) you could stream movies/photos/music wirelessly. This router does that for you. You don’t need to plug anymore to your TV.
- IPV6 Ready – Compatible with TM’s Implementation of IPV6 for UniFi and Streamyx
The rest are pretty much standard feature. Another noteworthy feature is that you have parental control built-in so you can pretty much set a rule saying that no Internet after 9 PM on your kid’s smartphone/tablet.
Compatibility with Malaysian ISP (UniFi/Streamyx/Maxis etc)
The router is compatible with UniFi and Maxis Fibre as well. It works with Streamyx , P1 . It does work with 3G/4G USB Dongles as well – which means if you have a 3g/4g connection you could actually share the Internet connection with this.
Pretty much this router is compatible with majority of the ISPs out there except for P1 (USB) and Yes4G (USB). These USB dongles are not compatible
If you are not from Malaysia , it should work with most of the ISPs out there. It supports VLAN tagging , so it shouldn’t be a problem
Comparison with TM’s UniFi Router
I took few pictures so that you have a rough idea on how it compares (in terms of size) with TM’s Stock UniFi Router
I guess you’ll get a clearer idea from the picture
Continue reading Part 2 by clicking here
The router is a review unit given as a loan by ASUS Malaysia Sdn Bhd for reviewing purposes. This is not a sponsored post. The review can be negative or positive and like many other things I’ve reviewed in my blog